- At several points during the last year, we started to address the topic of self-published authors and how that plays into guild membership. We came up with good ideas, but I think that nailing something down and getting it added to the by-laws would be a good goal for this next round.
- There have been a few discussions this year about the goals of the guild itself: is it for lifting up of members, or is it for providing outreach to the audience of furry fiction? While each informs a different path that the guild may take, I don’t think that they’re mutually exclusive.
I’d like to see about implementing an outreach arm, program, or what-have-you — we can decide specifics down the line — to focus on getting the word out about furry fiction. This will allow the guild to focus on lifting up authors through promotion, access to markets, and so on, while still living up to our stated goal of promoting anthropomorphic fiction as well as its creators.
The outreach arm should target both authors and readers. Even non-member authors can get something out of the guild, in terms of markets and writing advice. A lot of resources are for all comers, not just members. * I’d like to keep talking with Chipotle and Sean about the future of the forums. There are valid concerns with SMF that would be fixed by moving to something like Discourse or similar, but we do need to address adding a shoutbox of some kind; many people (rightfully) enjoy that, and just forcing everyone to the Slack or the Telegram chat isn’t a solution * I think that getting the FWG blog up and running in a more aggressive fashion would help us out quite a bit in terms of promotion. This is currently done through the member spotlights, but there are other additions that might help as well, such as member fiction, solicited articles, and so on. This would be a topic to discuss with the guild as a whole.
- Cards and bookmarks
- At-con evangelizing through panels
- Meet-and-greets (con or otherwise)
- Furry Book Month October
- Markets, in terms of anthos
- Beta reading through forum/slack/Telegram
- Things to read