<em>Arcana</em> - Extended Call for Submissions
In November of 2016, a conversation in the Furry Writers’ Guild around the archetypes involved in the major arcana of the Tarot turned into an idea for an anthology. That idea was soon turned to reality after Thurston Howl Publications picked up the anthology for publishing. That led to a call for submissions, which closed on March 31, 2017.
The outcome was, frankly, staggering. We received 28 submissions plus eight solicited submissions. In addition, we’ve allowed seven short-term extensions on an individual basis. This is all quite impressive when one considers that such an anthology isn’t one call for submissions, but twenty-two. After all, we needed submissions for each of the twenty-two cards. We alleviated some of this through solicited submissions for specific cards.
The result that we achieved was fairly even. Some cards naturally picked up more submissions, while others less so. In most cases, enough submissions were received to make an editorial decision fair, but a few cards were stretched too thin to make a final decision legitimate.
Arcana is open for an extended call for submissions
With so many wonderful authors out there, we invite you to write stories based around the archetypes driving a subset of the tarot’s major arcana. Several of the cards are open for additional submissions. For more details on the anthology’s requirements and restrictions, please see the original call.
Much like the first call, this call will involve some feedback to you, the authors, as to what cards are receiving attention, and which ones are not. This will be much simpler, however. Just a number of submissions received with no upper limit on the number available.
This extended call applies to the following cards:
|The Empress||Fertility, femininity, beauty, nature, abundance or blocked creativity, over-dependence on others.||2|
|The Lovers||Love, union, relationships, values alignment, choices or disharmony, imbalance, misalignment of values.||0|
|Strength||Strength, courage, patience, control, compassion or weakness, self-doubt, lack of self-discipline.||2|
|The Devil||Bondage to one’s ideals, addiction, sexuality, materialism or detachment, breaking free, power reclaimed.||2|
|The Star||Hope, spirituality, renewal, inspiration, serenity or lack of faith, despair discouragement.||2|
|Judgement||Judgement, rebirth, inner calling, absolution or self doubt, refusal of self-examination.||1|
Further details are on the original call, but here is a quick rundown:
- Submission length
- 2,000–5,000 words
- Submission rating
- G-R (mention of sex or violence is okay, but should not be the focus of the story)
- ½ cent per word
- Previous publication
- Previously published stories not currently under contract allowed
- Multiple submissions
- With the anthology, yes; within each card, no. This includes cards you have submitted for in the first round
- How to submit
- Email submissions to email@example.com. Submissions should include a cover letter stating which card you chose and why. Submission files (doc, docx, odt, tex, txt, markdown, pdf…ask if you have concerns) should be anonymized.
Good luck, write well!
But wait, I have some questions!
- Why are you opening for X card?
- I want three submissions or more per card so that a decision can be a fair choice, and not simply “which is the better of two stories”. Previous submissions will be read just the same as ones from this call.
- I have an outstanding extension on one of these card. Will that be affected by the call?
- No. Or, rather, you now have more time! Take the time you have now to make sure your story is wonderful.
- What is your favorite card?
- The Fool :)
- What is your favorite pasta dish?
- Get to writing1!
- It’s cacio e pepe. [return]